10:08 PM

The prince not so charming trend

So I had a birthday...and now it seems I'm at the point where I could quite happily let the number go unnoticed and just have the celebration! It may sound ridiculous but most days I think I feel about 28 even though the life experience tally could be closer to 45 or so.

Especially when I read about "lost boys" who still live at home in their 30s and beyond, don't have any big motivation or aspirations and are kind of drop-outs from what I consider to be reality....stuff like trying to make something of yourself, having something to show for your efforts, trying to find balance between working and relaxing and generally being self-sufficient with a little left over to try and give back.

Read the article and subsequent comments here: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/05/21/f-vp-handler.html

Now generally I'm a live and let live kind of person, but something that sets me off is people who feel entitled without lifting a finger...or moving a braincell. And that's basically the impression I get from a lot of guys in their 20s and 30s and many of those who commented on the article. The "why should I bust my ass?" kind of attitude grates on me and makes me want to ask "why should I bust mine to cover mine and yours?" or why should your parents? or your wife?

I don't feel the need to have an extraordinary house or luxury vehicles but after now being the primary breadwinner and person motivated to have a home base and some plans; in stark contrast to my sig. other a few times, I am starting to wonder if there actually is a trend and it's not just the guys I choose? I have been accused of being a "nester" by one ex's mother like it was incredibly distasteful to want to create a comfortable home. Ironically I've also been called "ambitious" and a "go-getter" using the same tone. My ex mother-in-law raved about what a hard worker my ex was "when he's working" and didn't understand how strange that sounded.

Why is it that the women I know are so self-reliant and able to push themselves in so many ways (homeowners, caregivers, exceptional at what they do for a living and have hobbies and other skills to boot) and the guys out there seem so lukewarm about anything other than kicking back and allowing others to take on all of the responsibility? Is Homer Simpson really who they are happy to become? If the label for women with this attitude is princess, what do we call this new kind of guy?

0 comments: