6:39 PM

What are we running from?

Well I am back to the gym again after almost a week off...I was interrupted by a cold and the return of the dreaded shin splints. I really wish I knew how to get rid of those. The other thing I get part way through my run is a stitch in my side...suggestions for getting rid of either are welcome!

So now that I'm back at it, I think it's time to find a run - preferably a 5k run since that's what I work my intervals around completing. I just made the leap from 1 min runs and 2 min walks to 2 and 2s. My walks are at 3.8 mph and runs at 5.4...whatever that means. I generally do weights after I run mostly because I think I get a better run in that way but have heard that I should do my cardio last...like anything else fitness or nutrition related it seems to depend on who you ask.

There is this one http://www.arres.ca/mayors_race.htm which is coming up a little fast for my liking but would be doable at a less than stellar pace. Maybe at 3 and 2s? (that's 3min running and 2 min walk intervals)

And there is a 3k called The Halloween Howl http://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=3927

And last year the one I did was in early November and was the Jingle Bell run. It sleeted and snowed during the run so it was quite the initiation. My time was terrible but I was pleased to finish!

So...any takers to train for a 5k wherever you are?

I recommend the very funny book, The Non Runners Marathon Guide for Women by Dawn Dais. And no, I do not have marathon aspirations but her training schedule and Bridget Jonesesque diary entries are more motivating for me than a hard core coach.

Most recent run: 3.1 miles (5k) in 41 mins 30 secs.
Cool running gear: nada

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oct 5 is the Run for the Cure... feel free to join me in Wpg for that one :) but there will be one in Calgary also.