10:27 PM

Confront me if I don't ask for help.

Remember the movie 28 Days? With Sandra Bullock? At one point she has to wear a sign around her neck that says "Confront me if I don't ask for help.".....I'm thinking that maybe I need that sign....

Tonight I dropped a perfectly good air conditioner out of my dining room window.

No, I didn't open the window and just drop it out. I spent a half hour adding plywood pieces to stabilize it and then a little shelf thing for it to sit on...which I secured with 1 inch screws....into 1/2 inch or more plywood...then I put the metal sleeve the air conditioner fits in onto the shelf thingy and screwed that in. I heaved the air conditioner in and went to get the front panel - I looped the controller through the panel and went to click the front panel on and it wouldn't fit.

Want to know why it wouldn't fit? Um the whole air conditioner had started to slide out the window....and of course now that I had the front panel wedged in the window, I couldn't get a hold of the air conditioner. Good thing I built up the front flower bed and filled it with shredded cedar!

Next I zipped outside and dragged and heaved the damn thing back inside the front door. I live on a fairly busy street but I don't think anyone saw the series of events above...if they did, they are likely still peeing their pants right now.

So....home reno lessons learned today:

  • - Bleach makes you high but also gets rid of stuffy sinuses (I cleaned the inside trailer walls earlier today)
  • - Never turn down a cookie from a good looking guy at a home improvement place...you'll wish you'd accepted and bantered it into a drink or something (I am going to run out of flooring so maybe I'll get another shot at that)
  • - 1 inch screws are not enough....I think this is true pretty much all of the time lol

I am going to claim that the reason I didn't foresee the drop of doom for the air conditioner was the bleach (and later melamine paint) which I inhaled working in the small confines of the trailer earlier today.

Tomorrow, Jorge is coming to help me with setting up the air conditioner so that when I get the new controller part I ordered for an exorbitant amount online (I do love that you can find anything online!) I won't drop it out the window again. I hope the only thing that broke was the controller!

He's also going to look at helping me replace the window cranks in the trailer which are stripped. That involves drilling out rivets...which I am uncomfortable with....unlike putting a heavy air conditioner in a window by myself....

Gwen: Believe it or not, I can make this decision on my own, okay? I don't need your help.
Gerhardt: That's not what your neck sign says.
Gwen: Oh, forget what my neck sign says!

Imaginary Gwen to Gwen: You know you're screwed. Mm-hmm.

1 comments:

joyce said...

oh, I am sooo coming back to your blogspot! This is priceless. Reminds me of the 50,,000 plus things like this that I have done. things a person could not do if she actually planned to...

small aside- and in very small letters. sort of like a whisper. I have another bag like the "boler" bag and I want you to have it. Name your price, send me an e-mail at re-joyce@mts.net